Super

The world calls. It pulls me this way & that. I find myself stressed. I can feel the tightening in my chest. Then, I tell myself: I’m HUMAN.
I stopped wanting to be Superwoman a while ago. Yes, Alicia made it into an anthem that so many of us sung along to. For those who are old enough to remember, Karyn White also made the concept of being (or not being) Superwoman something to talk about. I honestly think those songs were just calling out the truth about the weight & distress that we plow through in life (and relationships). Nevertheless, I think that we made them into too much of an anthem & thought process that we can take on the world. I am a very strong woman. I will almost kill myself trying to live up to my word. I like to be seen as someone who is on top of her game. I genuinely like to help & take care of others. However, sometimes, these traits can be a cocktail for disaster. Did I mention that I am a recovering people pleaser? Oh, and that I can be really paranoid about how I am perceived? And then there is that anxiety issue…
I came to a point this year where I am learning to relinquish things that don’t allow me to be human. This does not mean that I physically walk away from every situation that brings me stress. It just means that I have opened my mind to the possibility that me acting like I am not made of steel may have repercussions. While loss of any kind is distressing & uncomfortable…so is a tight chest.
I truly believe that I am a superhero in my head. I feel like there is a power inside of all of us to go way beyond what we thought. I dream of the day that I can put out books & give talks to help others. I dream of the day that I can be in the art world putting out projects. I also dream about just putting out words that can help, heal, ease, invoke a smile, or create a sense of knowing that no one is alone. So…I blog my struggles & life to try & offer that. I feel that my one of my superpowers is within my words. I feel that I can help “save the world” if I just keep writing.
What motivates you to want to take on the world? What makes you want to go above & beyond? If it is coming from a place of stress or distress, I want to encourage you to remember that you are human. I want you to know that the criticism (and expectation) may hurt (and give you PTSD) but criticism that is not constructive is coming from a broken place. Often times, people will expect something out of you that they can’t give. There is a disconnect in people that put others down while never looking at themselves. Those people are not doing the work they need to do either. Sometimes, high expectations come from not really doing the work you need to do in life. Working through life & experience can create compassion & humility. Many critics are being very human…but when you are a paranoid people pleaser…it’s a hard hurdle to get over. And it’s not just one person (or groups of people) that you need to put to bed. Life as a collective requires unrealistic bars to be set all the time. However, you are human.
It’s Friday…but we all know that life calls on us 24/7. So…if you are feeling stressed or distressed...remember that you are ONE. HUMAN. PERSON. Do your best…but don’t kill yourself (because eventually all the stress can possibly kill you). Breathe. Smile. And be Super…in the best (and MOST HEALTHY) way you know how. Love & hugs. ❤️šŸ’‹✨
Love,
Autumn

Comments

Popular Posts